Editor in Chief, Journal of Surgical Simulation, Clinical Lead for Surgery, Queen Mary University
Bijendra Patel is a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Consultant Surgeon at UCLH and Barts Health NHS Trust London, UK.
His clinical expertise include - Laparoscopic Surgery and Upper GI Surgery - Surgery for benign and malignant diseases of Oesophagus and Stomach and managing complex high risk GI surgical patients.
He is a world leader in integrating technology enhanced learning within the surgical training curriculum. In October 2005, he pioneered this concept by creating the world’s first Masters course in acquiring surgical skills by simulation (MSc Surgical Skills and Sciences) at the Barts Cancer Institute, Queen Mary University of London to “Fast-Track” surgical training.
- Clinical Director of Surgery Barts Health NHS Trust
- Founder president of Society of Surgical Simulation
- Royal College of Surgeons of England Laparoscopic Surgery Tutor
- Director of Research and Education with Medical Realities and London Surgical Simulation Academy.
- Medical Realities group is specializing in virtual reality products for delivering effective teaching and training to anyone, anywhere in the world. Combining 360 video, 3D and interactive content, The Virtual Surgeon™ puts you inside the operating theatre overseeing an operation through the eyes of the surgeon.
- He is founder president of Society of Surgical Simulation and also the founder and editor-in chief of the Journal of Surgical Simulation, the first academic journal dedicated to publishing research in the fields of surgical simulation.
His main research interests include surgical simulation as a tool for acquisition and retention of surgical skills and developing technology enhanced learning curriculum for training.